|Back to Back Issues Page|
Superfoods High in Minerals -- Issue #41
November 15, 2013
IN THIS ISSUE:
What are Minerals?Minerals, referred to as the "spark plugs" of life energy, are essential nutrients for human health. They are the catalysts to our vitality that keep our "battery" charged and running smoothly.
They are important for almost every function of the body and help to keep us hydrated, mentally alert and physically active. We must obtain minerals from our food because the body does not naturally produce them. The plant based foods we consume uptake these minerals directly from the earth and transfer them to us when we eat them.
The main minerals the body requires are called macro-minerals. They include: calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, chloride and sulfur.
Micro-minerals (or trace minerals), are needed in smaller amounts. They include: chromium, cobalt, copper, fluoride, iodine, iron, manganese, molybdenum, selenium and zinc.
To properly digest the minerals from the food we eat, we need good stomach acid and adequate amounts of pancreatic enzymes. So, in some situations digestive enzyme supplements and cultured foods, like sauerkraut, can help to increase the amount of minerals you absorb in the digestive tract.
The best way to learn about the minerals you may be currently lacking is to get tested by a qualified laboratory service. This is an important first step to correcting any mineral imbalance you may be experiencing. Minerals work together, so an excess of one can also lead to a shortage of another. Testing is the sure fire way to know what you may need more or less of to provide for optimal health.
Here are some top signs of mineral deficiency that might help you decide whether to undergo further lab analysis.
Top Mineral Deficiency Symptoms:
Top Superfoods High in Minerals1) Seaweeds - Kelp is our number one seaweed for adding more minerals (and Iodine) to the diet, but all seaweeds have them to a large extent. Seaweeds are best used blended into a hot or raw soup for maximum absorption. The seaweeds you purchase should be tested free of contaminants.
2) Sprouts - We list a variety of sprouts and their mineral-rich benefits on our website, all of which can be grown with a solution of ocean water or ocean mineral solution. This will significantly increase the amount of minerals available to you when you eat them.
3) Nutritive Herbal Tea - One of our personal favorite teas uses a blend of nettle, horsetail and oatstraw. These herbs are packed with major minerals and trace minerals your body can easily digest as a liquid tea broth. The tea can be added to soup stocks or mixed with other herbal tea blends.
4) Green Juices - The mineral content available in leafy green vegetables is extremely high, especially organically grown and freshly harvested. Juicing greens (like kale, collard, spinach, etc) can provide a potent boost of mineral rich green juice. We recommend buying greens fresh from your local farmers market or growing your own with an ocean mineral solution. Wild edible greens are also significantly higher in minerals being a wild food. (Learn more about green juicing on our website.)
5) Shilajit - This superfood powder is one of the richest sources of minerals and many elements that are depleted in our soils today. After the extraction process, it is said to contain over 80 trace minerals, including extremely high amounts of fulvic acid. It is known to also help boost the mineral uptake of other foods.
6) Celtic Sea Salt - One of the best sea salt's to use, Celtic sea salt is very high in ocean born minerals. Pink Himalayan salt would be a second choice. As with all salts, avoid using them in excess as they can cause adverse health effects. Adding a pinch of Celtic sea salt to water with a squeeze of lemon is an excellent way to hydrate and re-mineralize the body.
7) Microalgaes - All of the algaes including spirulina, chlorella, blue green algae and marine phytoplankton are an exceptional sources of minerals as well as other nutrients. However, marine phytoplankton is "top dog" when it comes to mineral content as it is an ocean based liquid algae.
8) Bee Pollen - A great superfood to add to smoothies and blended drinks that is packed with trace elements and chelated minerals. Bee pollen is also a food extremely high in enzymes needed to digest these mineral nutrients.
9) Vitamineral Green - One of the best superfood green powders on the market, Vitamineral Green by Healthforce Nutritionals is a vitamin and mineral supplement blending whole, raw food ingredients, enzymes, probiotics and zeolites together in one unique powder. It is a powerful mineral-rich concentration of all the great green grasses, herbs, seaweeds and algaes.
9) Raw Fruits, Raw Vegetables and Spring Water - Many essential minerals are contained in the water of all raw fruits and vegetables. Eating a diet high in raw foods ensures that you are getting your supply of minerals as they are not being cooked out of your food. Minerals also move up the food chain and are not as concentrated in animal products. Natural high quality spring water also contains very high levels of many of the macro-minerals.
Mineral Boosting ProductsKelp - Maine Coast Sea Vegetables, 2oz - whole leaf
A thinner and more tender variety of Japanese kombu, kelp is the all-purpose sea veggie that can be used soaked and blended into soup stocks for maximum nutrient absorption. Intensely rich in minerals and trace elements, kelp is highest in iron, iodine calcium, potassium, magnesium, and offers substantial amounts of B vitamin's. Phytochemicals in kelp have been shown to absorb and eliminate radioactive elements and heavy metal contaminants from our bodies. Maine Coast Sea Vegetables are certified organic by OCIA and are tested for heavy metal, chemical and microbiological contaminants that may be present in polluted ocean environments. Kelp, Maine Coast Sea Vegetables
Vitamineral Green Powder - Healthforce Nutritionals, 500 grams
Vitamineral Green is a superior, nutritionally dense, therapeutic green superfood powder which nutritionally supports a balanced mineral profile. It contains a full spectrum of naturally occurring absorbable macro and micro-minerals in a raw enzyme-rich formula that is easy to digest and assimilate. In addition it contains all the essential amino acids (protein), antioxidants, chlorophyll, soluble and insoluble fibers, tens of thousands of phytonutrients and a plethora of other synergistically bound organic nutrients. It can be conveniently added to any smoothie or raw soup blend. Vitamineral Green
Marine Phytoplankton - Ocean's Alive,1oz
This unique super-nutrient from the ocean provides the body with an increase in residual energy that builds up significantly when it is ingested on a daily basis. Marine phytoplankton is one of the top superfood algaes, packed with living, nutrient-dense ocean energy with more than 90 ionic and trace minerals. With the smallest nano-particulate size of all micro algae’s, Ocean’s Alive delivers vital life energy at the DNA/Mitochondria level and also penetrates the blood/brain barrier feeding the higher master glands located deep in the brain stimulating significant mental clarity. Ocean’s Alive is an original, live, whole, concentrated raw food requiring no refrigeration and comes packaged in cobalt blue glass bottles with droppers for easy dispensing. One bottle offers a one month supply of mineral-rich liquid algae. Ocean’s Alive Marine Phytoplankton
Until our next issue...
May you thrive, prosper and evolve in the best of ways!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR:
All information in this ezine is the personal view of the author and is for educational purposes only and not intended as medical advice, diagnosis or prescription. This information has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to cure or prevent any disease.
|Back to Back Issues Page|